Tuesday, September 30, 2014

48 hours in the Big Apple

My mom and I planned our layover home from South America in New York City. As my fourth visit to the city, I was able to pick and choose my priorities without much pressure to see it all. We squeezed in the 9/11 Memorial Museum, Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, times square, and a broadway play.

The memorial is a must see, but requires a box of tissues! Also be warned that they have actual voice recordings of calls made from passengers on the flights and in the twin towers to loved ones, so listen at your own risk. There is also some interesting information on the history of Al-Qaeda. 

Ellis Island and the museum is always a fun way to travel back into time and learn what it's like to be an immigrant entering the U.S. The Statue of Liberty was smaller than I remember it, but still impressive. Don't forget to purchase your tickets to go inside the statue ahead of time though! 

Planting yourself in Times Square is always a great way to get lost in the hustle and bustle of the city, between the chaotic lights and people in costumes, there is never a dull moment. 

Last but not least, you can't go to NYC without seeing a broadway production. I finally got to see Wicked the musical, and it absolutely blew me away! 

The subways were a little tricky even with the handy smart phone app to guide us. But overall, another successful NY trip was had by all.


No comments:

Post a Comment