Saturday, June 1, 2013

And so the preparations for Uganda begin...


So, I leave for Uganda in 23 days and I couldn't be more excited, anxious, happy, or scared. The amount of immunizations that are required and recommended for traveling to Uganda does not make me feel very safe, not to mention there is a whole list of other diseases posted by the CDC that don't have vaccines! So far I've gotten 4 shots (2 Rabies, Yellowfever, meningococcal) and I have 2 more to go. I've also taken an oral inoculation for cholera (which tasted awful), and got my anti-malaria pills (Malarone). Luckily, I have an awesome mom and great insurance so she was able to get and send me a prescription of Malarone for $5 (it would have cost $210 in Australia)!

Things left to do:
  • find a treated mosquito net
  • get a water purifying device of some sort
  • read my Uganda book
  • stop stressing
I also started an online fundraiser to help raise money for the travel and vaccine cost with a goal of $3000. As of this moment, I've raised $590, which I am pleasantly surprised by! Although I hope I can manage to raise a bit more because volunteering is expensive!!! In fact after years of research, the only completely free volunteering organizations I have found are the Peace Corps and Teach for America. Unfortunately, Teach for America is only in America, and the Peace Corps is a 27 month commitment! That being said I have gone up and down over the years whether I want to join the Peace Corps and I've decided that my month in Uganda (albeit short) will be the final test to see if I am cutout for that kind of lifestyle and commitment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment